I have Ulcerative Colitis and so making smoothies can be a little more difficult than it is for others. I can’t just go out and buy whey protein because of all the unnatural ingredients it contains in it. I also care about everything I put into my body, even down to the alkaline water I drink. I have been off medication for a year now and alkaline water is a big part of it. As anyone with Ulcerative Colitis knows, it varies from person to person on what they can tolerate. But after chatting with a lot of people these ingredients seem to do well with over 80% of the people I have talked to.
The smoothie is dairy-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO!
Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free Smoothie Ingredients
- Half a cup of blueberries
- Almond Milk (please get almond milk without carrageenan)
- 1 Banana
- 15 grams of L-glutamine powder
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 cup of organic lactose free plain yogurt (optional)
Reasoning Behind the Ingredients
Many people with UC, including myself can’t eat strawberries or raspberries because of the seeds. And that is where blueberries come into play! Blueberries have so many health benefits. Ever since developing UC blueberries are my fruit of choice to put into smoothies. I even snack on bowls of blueberries.
- They lower cholesterol levels
- They prevent stomach irritation and decrease inflammation
- They improve urinary tract health
- Powerful antioxidant.
- Improve eyesight.
- Better memory and intellectual function.
- Increased motor function.
- They help build stronger bones
- Prevent chronic inflammation.
- Healthier good-looking skin.
Read more about the health benefits of blueberries.
Bananas are another one of my go to fruits for UC. It is an easy way for us to digest fiber. I try to eat at least one banana every single day!
Health Benefits of Bananas
- Good for your heart.
- Packed with potassium.
- Depression and mood.
- Digestion and weight loss.
Read more about the amazing health benefits of bananas.
Ever since developing UC I haven’t been able to drink milk or soy milk. So after doing a lot of research I discovered almond milk! And to be honest, I should have been drinking this for years. It is so much healthier for you than anything else out there. Here are just a few of the benefits of almond milk.
Almond Milk Benefits
- Weight loss.
- Healthier skin and bones.
- Low glycemic index.
- Good source of riboflavin.
- Lower cholesterol.
Just make sure to get the kind without carrageenan in it, as this causes inflammation! My personal favorite is the unsweetened original Silk almond milk brand.
You can even get it on Amazon! Almond milk is different that regular milk, it doesn’t go bad for many months.
Read more about the health benefits of almond milk.
L-Glutamine has so many benefits for your gut it is crazy! People with Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s Disease, etc. should be eating as much of this as they can. I put it in my dairy-free smoothie, cereal, mix it with a bowl of blueberries, yogurt, you name it, I put it in it.
10 Proven L-Glutamine Benefits
- Improves gastrointestinal health because it is a vital nutrient for the intestines to rebuild and repair
- Helps heal ulcers and leaky gut by acting as a Band-Aid for protection from further damage
- Is an essential neurotransmitter in the brain and helps with memory, focus and concentration
- Improves IBS and diarrhea by balancing mucus production, which results in healthy bowel movements
- Promotes muscle growth and decreases muscle wasting
- Improves athletic performance and recovery from endurance exercise
- Improves metabolism and cellular detoxification
- Curbs cravings for sugar and alcohol
- Fights cancer
- Improves diabetes and blood sugar
L-Glutamine powder is one of those other secret tools in my arsenal that has kept me in remission, medication free. I use the Now Foods brand from Amazon. It is gluten-free, yeast free, dairy free, soy free.
The reason Chia seeds are so beneficial is due to them being rich in fiber, omega-3 fats, protein, vitamins and minerals. As you know, people with digestive issues have problems getting fiber. Chia seeds actually dissolve in water and are easily digested in smoothies. I can’t eat seeds, but I do fine with Chia seeds because of how they dissolve into a gel like substance when paired with liquids. Just like those Chia pets you used to play with.
Top 9 Chia Seeds Benefits
- Skin & aging
- Digestive health
- Hearth health
- Cure diabetes
- Boost your energy & metabolism
- Stronger bones
- Build muscle & lose weight
- Fight breast and cervical cancer
- Dental health
I also get my Chia seeds on Amazon. If you have read this blog for a while you’ll realize I buy most of my stuff online as it is always cheaper than locally. My favorite brand is Navitas Chia seeds. They are non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free.
Organic Lactose Free Plain Yogurt
And the last ingredient for this gluten-free and dairy-free smoothie is some organic lactose free plain yogurt! Obviously you can’t buy this on Amazon. I get an organic brand from my local farmer’s market that is lactose free. You should hopefully be able to find something similar wherever you live.
And that’s it! Enjoy an amazing gluten-free and dairy free smoothie packed with super healthy ingredients that should hopefully settle well in your stomach! If you have any issues try cutting out the chia seeds first.
Let me know what you think of it! I drink these on a daily basis.